Wednesday, March 23, 2011

EASY, Freezie, Puppy Chow


OK so I have had a lot of people who were surprised that you can freeze puppy chow...
I had made it for my daughters birthday and froze an extra bag for needs when the kids need a snack and I had no warning.. It has worked great!My family has even grown to love it straight out of the freezer! So here is the recipe I used and it lasts, thaws, turns out WONDERFUL. YUM! Make a bag for yourself for the freezer while you are at it :) 


You will need:
  • 9 cups Chocolate Chex
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup (creamy) peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Now to make the stuff
  • Put cereal in large bowl.
  • Melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
  • Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
  • Pour over Chex cereal, scoop into a large plastic ziplock freezer bag, sprinkle with powdered sugar and shake well to coat. (I personally put half the mix in, half the powdered sugar, then rest of the mix and rest of the sugar and shake, THEN I actually transfer to another plastic bag, just dump, so it is "cleaner")
  • Place plastic bag in freezer to let cool. Keep in freezer until ready to serve, however long that may be :).

8 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just wanted to let you know I searched the web for how to freeze puppy chow and your post came up. My husband and I are hoping to get pregnant with our second before long and I've been working on getting meals/snacks into the freezer so I wont have to cook during my first trimester.

    Thanks so much for answering my question about freezing puppy chow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks for the feedback I'm so glad to hear it came up for you! And yes, this stuff is the best, and can you believe I had never even tried it before my daughters doggy birthday!? Good luck with the trying! Stop by and let me know! I love hearing about pregnancies! They make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Made 2 batches today. A batch to freeze and a batch to share with family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try this on Saturday for my sons first birthday party. It's Mickey Mouse themed so I am making Plutos puppy chow. I'm excited about freezing some for later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made snack size baggies for my sons wedding reception at a park. There was so much left over and am glad i can freeze it instead of taking it to work. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! Do you know how long it can be made to be frozen? Is there an "expiration" of sorts, even with freezing? How long can it last were I to make it, freeze it and ship it to family (knowing that it would be about 3 days in the mail at warmer temperatures)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does the powdered sugar get "weird" when thawing it out? Do you spread it out on wax paper to thaw, or leave it in the bag? Is the thawed treat crispy, like fresh made, or a little "soggy-ish" like it's been frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made a batch of puppy chow and am freezing it the shaker bag,I will later transfer to little Christmas bags to give away.Anxious to see how it comes out .I hope it's crispy.

    ReplyDelete

If you read this at all, first I LOVE you for it! And second, can you please "follow" me? I just like to get a handle on how many are really enjoying my blog at all. When I see followers I have a small estimated idea. Second, I think comments will REALLY help me make this blog what YOU want to see! I LOVE them and will read each and every one very careful! Even if it is just to say HI I read it and I liked/disliked this post.

Thanks for helping me out and taking an interest in my tiny girl colored corner of the world!

Hope you are all good and stop by often!!