Thursday, June 7, 2012

Summer Bucket List ~ DIY (Glitter) Slime!



What kid, girl or boy, young or old, doesn't love slime?! My girls needed a project to "sell" for school and this one was a HIT! You can totally customaize it how your kiddos want it. You can make it opaque and solid colors, or clear, girly and glittery...my personal favorite. Either way SLIME is a easy way to pass time with the kiddos. It takes no more than 5 mnutes to make and probably cost around 5 cents to make! Go ahead try it! I originally found the recipe here, from where else but the almighty Pinterest...






SLIME (glitter)

1 teaspoon borax powder (best found at wal-mart in the laundry isle, its a box)
1 1/2 C water, divided
4 oz (1/2 C)  Elmer’s glue, clear or white
food coloring
fine glitter
1. In a small bowl add borax powder to 1 cup of water and stir to dissolve.  Set aside.  
2.  Pour glue into a mixing bowl and add 1/2 C water. Add a few drops of food coloring until desired color is reached and then stir to mix glue solution until smooth.  If you want glitter, I would get the real fine kind and add it now.
3.  Pour the borax mixture into the glue mixture and watch the solids start to form.  Make sure to let sit 3-5 minutes.
4.  Stir for a few moments and then use your hands to gather the mass.  The mixture will be very soft and wet. Kind of lumpy but not a firm lump yet.  

 Keep kneading until it firms up and feels dry.  There will be QUITE a bit of water left in the bowl.  Empty it, keep kneading and empty again.  
5.  Store in a ziplock bag or air tight container and the slime will keep indefinitely.  If it feels too hard, just wet your hands and touch it again.  A few drops does the trick.

11 comments:

  1. That looks like a total blast and a half! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah that is so cool! I'm going to try it with my husband. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah my hubby thought it was pretty fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah my hubby thought it was pretty fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tatiana you should try it with the lil one! They loooove squishing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think kids really love playing with messy and slimy stuffs. Well kids will always be kids. Great way to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. im a kid and i did it in school i think everyone should should try it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jane, I loved your slime making guide but you don't describe more about making slime. Here I'm also share about how to make slime with and water at home with out anyone help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I read your blogs, the recipes are superb and very easy to understand. I can easily make it at home. Now i didn't need to buy it from slime shops

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome your recipe but you can check it out: Slime with Me

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for posting such type of information for us and keep posting for slime shops.

    ReplyDelete

If you read this at all, first I LOVE you for it! And second, can you please "follow" me? I just like to get a handle on how many are really enjoying my blog at all. When I see followers I have a small estimated idea. Second, I think comments will REALLY help me make this blog what YOU want to see! I LOVE them and will read each and every one very careful! Even if it is just to say HI I read it and I liked/disliked this post.

Thanks for helping me out and taking an interest in my tiny girl colored corner of the world!

Hope you are all good and stop by often!!