Sunday, June 24, 2012

Recipe Review! Best Lasagna makeover

And totally healthy at that!

For ANY of you who really know me, you know I am a total pain in the butt when it comes to cuisine.  May even make you wonder how my family can survive healthy!

Well I am aware of my taste buds and I am trying to change that.  Since moving to Utah we have been so much healthier and I am learning how to prepare foods some foods super healthy.

For example this that I am about to share with you, with out my additions is only about 250 in calories and is SUPER healthy!!  With my changes, it only adds about 100=150 calories!!  And it is fulfilling.

The best part, my WHOLE family, from daddy who eats it all, to the K-bean who is still regulating herself, to the all mighty picky Lissy{no clue where she gets that from!?}, love it!!  Everyone had seconds!


I originally found the post on Pinterest.  The original is here, and she has very pretty pictures and step by step instructions if you want to check them out!  I am forever indebted to her for a recipe that provides health and taste!!!


The main ingredient, instead of noodles, is spaghetti squash!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here goes:
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

3 cups spaghetti squash (2 medium ones)*
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup skim ricotta
2/3 cup browned hamburger
8 tsp Parmesan cheese
1 tsp pizza spice (or Italian seasoning)
1 clove minced garlic
3/4 cup finely shredded part skim mozzarella

Preheat your oven to 375

Take an 8x8 pan and spread a little less than half the sauce on the bottom.
Then add 3/4 of your squash.
Add half the hamburger.
Layer with all the ricotta.
Add half the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
Add remaining 1/4 of squash.
Add remaining hamburger.
Add other half sauce, other half mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese.

Cover tightly with tinfoil and stick in oven for 15-20 minutes.

A serving is ONE FOURTH of the dish!!  I was so excited about this because it really is a fulfilling portion!!  I started with about 3/4 a serving and that was enough for me.
Calories: 291 with out hamburger
Calories 428 with the hamburger

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't know how to cook spaghetti squash it is pretty darn easy, puncture it a lot maybe even a cut or two to let the air out, and microwave 8-12 minutes.  Let sit for 5 minutes after, then open, cut out the seeds and scrape out with a fork.  That's it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now this is the "good stuff"...


Some of the health benefits of squash are amazing too!!  As a matter of a fact I just shared it with my 82 yr old father who deals with many of these.


One cup of cooked spaghetti squash:  40 calories, 2 grams dietary fiber, 10 grams carbohydrates,only  4 grams sugar, 1 gram protein, very low-fat content and no cholesterol. In addition..

This is the amazing part!  spaghetti squash contains

 ~omega-3 essential fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids. While the former is good for preventing heart disease, cancer and inflammation caused by arthritis, the latter promotes brain function.

~ It contains various vitamins and minerals, which are required for proper functioning of the body.

~Recent studies suggest that this squash is good for prostate health and it can also be used for treating benign prostate enlargement.

~It is very rich in beta carotene, which can prevent atherosclerosis and is also beneficial for people with insulin resistance.

~While potassium helps to lower blood pressure, foliate is good for preventing damage to blood vessel walls. Foliate is also beneficial for pregnant women as it can prevent some types of birth defects in the baby.

~Spaghetti squash is a good source of vitamin A and vitamin C that are antioxidants, which can prevent cell damage. The B vitamins in spaghetti promote proper cellular function.


Please please, pretty please let me know if you intend on making this, and if you do, come back and let me know how it turned out!!!  

2 comments:

  1. Using the squash sounds like a great, delicious idea. I should try making this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it turns out if you ever do

    ReplyDelete

If you read this at all, first I LOVE you for it! And second, can you please "follow" me? I just like to get a handle on how many are really enjoying my blog at all. When I see followers I have a small estimated idea. Second, I think comments will REALLY help me make this blog what YOU want to see! I LOVE them and will read each and every one very careful! Even if it is just to say HI I read it and I liked/disliked this post.

Thanks for helping me out and taking an interest in my tiny girl colored corner of the world!

Hope you are all good and stop by often!!